Technically speaking, the project was interesting in that the original brief was to shoot the whole thing on Agfa Scala, a black-and-white transparency film. However, digital SLR photography was just starting to take off and instead I managed to talk the publishers around to allowing me to shoot everything digitally and convert it to black and white, purchasing a Nikon D100 specifically for this purpose. The D100 was a fledgling dSLR, and with only 6 megapixels by today’s standards it was a pretty rudimentary bit of kit, especially for a professional. However at the time the whole concept of an affordable ‘quality’ digital camera was fairly revolutionary. Andthank goodness I did shoot it digitally rather than restricting myself to black-and white transparencies. Having recently re-edited the shots, I think a good many of them actually work better in colour. And interesting enough, many of the shots below are different selections from the ones that went in the book & that with hindsight I think are better, more interesting images.